Thursday, February 01, 2007

America and Americans

America and Americans by John Steinbeck
This title might be a little misleading, but serves its purpose as an eye catcher. As I pick through Steinbeck's works I read a lot of fiction, but really wanted to find out more about him, as a person. While I was on a huge kick this summer (visiting his museum in Salinas), I picked up America and Americans.

Mostly it is a collection of essays. His thoughts on international relations. Some reporting he did during WWII. A letter printed in a foreign newspaper. In the middle was a quiet story of his relationship with his sons, quite comedic. I would be more specific, but it was about 6 or 7 months ago that I read it. However, it left a big enough impression on me to want to share about it. At the end lies his small collection of essays, altogether entitled America and Americans. It is divided into different topics, which Steinbeck tackles with a great ease of observation and eloquence. It is funny, and quite amazing, how Steinbeck can pick at his subjects with love and a common connection. Somehow, it's not nitpicking or negative when it comes from Steinbeck. Just like the time I asked my mom if I was uptight, and she said I was, I couldn't get upset, because it came from my mom, you know?

And in the end most of it is right. You feel Steinbeck gets a good sense of who Americans are, even as its population is so widely diverse. Maybe it's a warm-fuzzy book. But it made me fall in love with America in its own, very gentle way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home