Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Most Famous Man in America, I am America (and So Can You!)

The Most Famous Man in America by Debby Applegate
I've realized, probably since taking my American History class in college, how much I love history and learning about how societies react and act upon what others do. I have no idea why I picked this book to read, as I bought it back in June, but I'm certainly glad I did.

Henry Ward Beecher is not quite as famous as his author sister, Harriet Beecher Stowe, yet their whole family of siblings were big players in the religious and political scene in the mid to late 19th century. Their father was a strict Puritan preacher, and they were raised without a lot of happiness in their lives. Somewhere along the way, though, their ideas got changed, and the majority of them went on to become influential.

There were a few things that made me love this book. First, the writing is really well done and conversational. I'm pretty picky when it comes to books about history because a large number of them can become very dry and tedious with names and dates. Instead, Applegate wonderfully describes, and draws you into, a world filled with life. You begin to understand how people think, and how that affects their actions. Second, Applegate does a great job mixing Beecher's life story in with the stories of others, and with the political instability of his time. Inserted into Beecher's story is the story of an America truly divided over a number of issues. This sets a great stage for Beecher and his accomplishments and failures.

I think Beecher's story is a very timely one. In an America that seems religious, but doesn't want to embrace religion on the public forum, Beecher's life seems very familiar. It's humbling to know that the problems we have now seem to have already been dealt with. I guess what they say is true: history repeats itself.

I Am America (And So Can You!) by Stephen Colbert
On the light side, Colbert runs his own show as a spin-off of the Daily Show with Jon Stewart. I can't quite stomach Stewart, but I've fallen in love with Colbert, probably because his comedy is all in a character. On his show his plays a very straight-laced conservative, but does it so well, and with a great sense of humor, you can't help but laugh.

His book runs just about the same, and while some of the jokes are a bit over done, and a a little too obnoxious, you realize that that's the character Colbert is playing. It's just a fun read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home