Friday, January 18, 2008

The Jungle, The Black Notebooks

The Jungle by Upton Sinclair

I picked this up at a school rummage sale, based solely on the fact that I knew it was about the meatpacking plants in Chicago at the turn of the century. Gah. Terribly gruesome, heart wrenching, and horrifying, I can see why upon reading it America asked for change. Not only does Sinclair hit at the stomach (I have a pretty strong stomach, and I had to take a breather during a few parts), but the struggle of the immigrant to survive despite the plants' greed for cheaper labor and conditions hits where it hurts. Even in this modern world, it seems the message is timeless, especially considering where we see ourselves presently in the immigration debate.

The Black Notebooks by Toi Dericotte

I requested this from the library because it was mentioned in Bliss Broyard's book. As a light skinned black woman, Dericotte writes this book almost as a journal of her constant struggle with racism, both within society and within herself. Not only is it about obvious racism, but the way things are perceived by others, and Dericotte's own conscience that seems to be riddled with guilt. I'm still trying to process many of her thoughts, which are deep, complex, and extremely valuable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home